Women’s Tennis Opens 2017 With Win Over Lewis-Clark State
By SUU Strategic Communication
LOGAN, Utah - The Southern Utah women’s tennis team opened the 2017 season with a win over the Warriors of Lewis-Clark State College in Logan.
The Thunderbirds got this started on the doubles side with a straight sweep of the Warriors. Juniors Mikala Lowrance and Teresa de Enrique Schmidt took down Stephanie Buckingham and Hannah Uhlenkott 7-5 and senior Evgenia Marushko and junior Laura Martin Lozano defeated Lauren Lang and Jen Roux 6-1. Sophomore Charity Sagiao and freshman Cloe Stocking completed the sweep, besting Begona Andres and Laura Rosselli 6-4.
Marushko, Lowrance, Martin Lozano, Sagiao, and Stocking all won their respective matches when things switched to the singles side. The only point for the Warriors came in the No. 3 position where Laura Rosselli defeated Teresa de Enrique Schmidt (7-5, 6-3).
“We were very nervous in doubles and singles, but we played better as the match went on. We definitely didn’t start the way we wanted to but I’m proud of how the girls competed. It’s great to finally get the season started with our first match and first win,” head coach Rose Ketmayura said after the win. “The goal is to keep building on this and transition well into our match against Utah State tomorrow.”
The Thunderbirds will be back in action tomorrow afternoon against the Utah State Aggies.
To stay up to date throughout the season, follow @SUUWTennis on Twitter, @suuwomenstennis on Instagram, and like SUU Women’s Tennis on Facebook.
1. Evgenia MARUSHKO (SUU) def. LANG, Lauren (LCSC) 4-6, 6-1, 6-3
2. Mikala LOWRANCE (SUU) def. UHLENKOTT, Hannah (LCSC) 6-1, 7-5
3. ROSSELLI, Laura (LCSC) def. Teresa DE ENRIQUE SCHMIDT (SUU) 5-7, 3-6
4. Laura MARTIN LOZANO (SUU) def. BUCKINGHAM, Stephanie (LCSC) 5-0[retired injury]
5. Charity SAGIAO (SUU) def. ROUX, Jen (LCSC) 6-3, 6-1
6. Cloe STOCKING (SUU) def. ANDRES, Begona (LCSC) 4-6, 6-3, 10-3
1. Mikala LOWRANCE/Teresa DE ENRIQUE SCHMIDT (SUU) def. BUCKINGHAM, Stephanie/UHLENKOTT, Hannah (LCSC) 7-5
2. Laura MARTIN LOZANO/Evgenia MARUSHKO (SUU) def. LANG, Laura/ROUX, Jen (LCSC) 6-13. Charity SAGIAO/Cloe STOCKING (SUU) def. ANDRES, Begona/ROSSELLI, Laura (LCSC) 6-4