SUU Strategic Communications

Thunderbirds Give Up Early Points, Resulting in Loss at No. 1 Weber State

February 02, 2017
By SUU Strategic Communication

Related Links

OGDEN, Utah – The Wildcats exploded in the early minutes of the in-state match-up as Southern Utah took on Weber State in the Dee Events Center, resulting in a 90-74 Thunderbird loss.

“When you play a team that’s leading the league, you don’t get to give up points on turnovers and such,” head coach Todd Simon said. “You have to play a cleaner game—we did that in the second half.”

Randy Onwuasor led the Thunderbirds in the loss with a double-double at 27 points and 15 rebounds, pouring in 9-of-10 from the free throw line. John Marshall and Brayden Holker added 15 and 10, respectively.

SUU finished the game with 48 points in the paint to WSU’s 22. Southern Utah also finished on top on the boards, out-rebounding the Wildcats 40-29.

The Thunderbirds led at 5-3 before a Wildcat 21-0 run gave Weber State a strong 24-5 lead just seven minutes into the game. Southern Utah responded by pouring in 8-straight points to fight their way back in the game and cut the gap to 11.

The Wildcats put a halt to the Thunderbird run before heading into halftime with a 46-27 lead.

Weber State continued to dominate in the opening minutes of the second half before Southern Utah fired up, rallying from behind to cut the gap to 10 with just seven minutes remaining.

Despite the comeback through the second half as the Thunderbirds outscored the Wildcats 47-44, Weber State wrapped up the game with a 90-74 #BigSkyMBB victory.

“We really focus on being more physical inside and trying to get extra possessions for ourselves, which we did,” Simon said. “If we can carry those positives, it will be a good development moving forward.”

Southern Utah continues road play as they take on Idaho State in Pocatello on Saturday, Feb. 4, at 7:00 p.m.

Keep up with the Thunderbirds by following @SUUBasketball on Twitter and Instagram along with liking SUU Basketball on Facebook.