LAS VEGAS, Nev. - Southern Utah University men's tennis picked up its second singles victory on the year as Alex Dial captured a win over Idaho State's Austin Miller at No. 3 singles in the Thunderbirds' second match of the day. SUU opened a doubleheader with a 7-0 loss to Seattle and followed with a 6-1 non-conference loss to Idaho State at the Darling Tennis Center on Monday.
Dial won his first set 6-3 and was awarded the victory after Miller was unable to compete because of an injury. The result was Southern Utah's second singles victory this season after none in the program's opening season in 2013.
SUU will return to the courts this Friday when the Thunderbirds host the University of Montana at 2:00 p.m. on the Thunderbird Tennis Courts.
Seattle U 7, Southern Utah 0
No. 1 – Kevin Lynch/Jason Bediones (SU) def. Troy Benson/Blair Robbins (SUU), 8-2
No. 2 – Will Topp/Zach Kosanke (SU) def. Alex Dial/Branden Olcott (SUU), 8-0
No. 3 – Riley Newman/Connor Leahy (SU) def. Ammon Story/Mitchell John (SUU), 8-2
No. 1 – Kevin Lynch (SU) def. Troy Benson (SUU), 6-3, 6-2
No. 2 – Will Topp (SU) def. Blair Robbins (SUU), 6-2, 6-0
No. 3 – Ian Clare (SU) def. Alex Dial (SUU), 6-1, 6-1
No. 4 – Riley Newman (SU) def. Ammon Story (SUU), 6-2, 6-0
No. 5 – Connor Leahy (SU) def. Branden Olcott (SUU), 6-1, 6-0
No. 6 – Gus Orlando (SU) def. Mitchell John (SUU), 6-0, 6-0
Idaho State 6, Southern Utah University 1
1. SWIGGART, Jamey (ISU) def. BENSON, Troy (SUU) 6-1, 6-1
2. STEMPIEN, Krzsztof (ISU) def. ROBBINS, Blair (SUU) 6-1, 6-0
3. DIAL, Alex (SUU) def. MILLER, Austin (ISU) 6-3, retired
4. GOODWIN, Josh (ISU) def. STORY, Ammon (SUU) 6-2, 6-0
5. SCHEEPBOUWER, B. (ISU) def. OLCOTT, Branden (SUU) 6-1, 6-0
6. MILLER, Cody (ISU) def. JOHN, Mitchell (SUU) 6-2, 6-2
1. BENSON, Troy/ROBBINS, Blair (SUU) vs. SWIGGART, Jamey/MILLER, Austin (ISU) 6-7, unfinished
2. STEMPIEN, Krzsztof/SCHEEPBOUWER, B. (ISU) def. DIAL, Alex/OLCOTT, Branden (SUU) 8-5
3. GOODWIN, Josh/MILLER, Cody (ISU) def. STORY, Ammon/JOHN, Mitchell (SUU) 8-3