- Broke the Big sky Conference record for tackles for loss with 28.5, previously held by the Chicago Bear’s Jared Allen
- Played in all 12 games for SUU and finished 4th on the team in total tackles and 1st in tackles for loss (28.5) and sacks (11.5)
- Finished tied for second on the team with three forced fumbles
- Blocked two kicks in the game against Montana
- Had 5.5 tackles for loss in the game against South Dakota State and had three or more tackles for loss five other times
- Postseason Award:
- Big Sky Conference First-Team Defense All-Conference
- Walter Camp First-Team Defense All-American
- Associated Press Second Team Defense All-American
- The Sports Network Second-Team Defense All-American
- FCS ADA Academic All-Star
- Earned second-team all-Big Sky and second-team Capital One Academic All-America honors
- Led team with 19 tackles for loss and 10.5 sacks; both figures were the second-most in the Big Sky and ranked 14th in the FCS
- Had 78 tackles, most among defensive linemen and fourth on the team
- Also led the squad with eight QB hurries, broke up four passes, recovered two fumbles, forced three more and blocked a pair of kicks ... had at least one TFL in all but two games, including at Weber State where he was in on four tackles for loss, including three sacks ... had a season-high 12 stops in the opener at South Alabama
- Earned freshman all-American honors and honorable mention all-Big Sky recognition after leading the nation’s freshmen with 0.68 sacks per game and ranking second among freshmen with 1.23 tackles for loss per game
- Led SUU and was fifth in the Big Sky with 7.5 sacks and was tied for third in the BSC with 13.5 tackles for loss
- Ranked 25th in the nation in sacks and 27th in TFLs
- Set an SUU freshman record with his 7.5 sacks
- Tallied 61 total tackles, fifth on the team and tops among defensive linemen, including 30 solo stops, which also ranked fifth
- Forced and recovered a fumble, intercepted a pass, broke up a pass and tallied five quarterback hurries
SUU: Spent the 2009 season as a redshirt prior to serving an LDS church mission. Participated in 2012 spring drills.
Prep: Earned consensus Utah 5A first-team all-state honors was and Region One Defensive Player of the Year last year, helping former Thunderbird Ryan Bishop’s Davis Darts to an appearance in the Utah 5A quarterfinals. Was named Davis County Clipper’s Mr. Football and to the Ogden Standard Examiner’s first-team. Finished season with 94 tackles, including 15 sacks, 32 tackles for loss, with 14 passes knocked down, and recovered three fumbles. Also played basketball three seasons for the Darts; earned academic all-region honors in both football and basketball, was a second-team all-stater in basketball. Also participated in debate and was a member of the National Honor Society.
Personal: Parents are Kelly and Steve Cowser ... graduted with a B.S. in psychology in 2014 ... currently pursuing a master's degree in communication.