Thunderbirds Swept By Rebels
LAS VEGAS, Nev. - With a weekend off from Big Sky competition, the Southern Utah men’s tennis team traveled to Las Vegas to take on the UNLV Rebels in a Sunday evening match that ended in a 7-0 win for the home team.
The Thunderbirds fell behind early as the Rebels took the doubles point with two quick victories. Sergio Palacio and Micah Alba dropped the first doubles match to UNLV’s Richard Solberg and Charlie Croxford 6-1 and Guy Feigin and Ben Yeacker followed with a 6-1 loss to Ruben Alberts and Adam Gage-Brown.
The struggles continued for the Thunderbirds in the singles competition, as the Rebels would go on to win all six points. Feigin and Yeacker gave UNLV the most trouble during their respective singles matches. In the No. 2 position, Feigin took the first set 4-6 over UNLV’s Evaldo Neto, but would lose the next two (6-1, 6-2) and ultimately the match. Yeacker dropped the first set 6-4 in his match with Kevin Chau, but answered back with a 3-6 win in the second set. The sophomore made things difficult on Chau in the final set, but eventually fell 10-6 in the tiebreaker.
The loss drops the Thunderbirds to a 4-14 overall record with just one week of competition left in the 2017 regular season.
Coming Up Next
The Thunderbirds will be back in action next weekend as they host Eastern Washington and Portland State for their last two matches of the regular season.
Stay Up to Date
To stay up to date throughout the season, like the SUU Men’s Tennis page on Facebook, @SUUTennis on Twitter and @suumenstennis on Instagram.
1. Alexandr Cozbinov (UNLV) def. TORDOFF, Conor (SUU) 6-4, 6-0
2. Evaldo Neto (UNLV) def. FEIGIN, Guy (SUU) 4-6, 6-1, 6-2
3. Adam Gage-Brown (UNLV) def. PALACIO, Sergio (SUU) 6-0, 6-4
4. Courtney Lock (UNLV) def. ENRIQUE SCHMIDT,Nico (SUU) 6-0, 6-1
5. Richard Solberg (UNLV) def. RUPA, Cedric (SUU) 6-4, 6-2
6. Kevin Chau (UNLV) def. YEACKER, Ben (SUU) 6-4, 3-6, 1-0 (10-6)
1. Jakob Amilon/Evaldo Neto (UNLV) vs. TORDOFF, Conor/RUPA, Cedric (SUU) 4-3, unfinished
2. Ruben Alberts/Adam Gage-Brown (UNLV) def. FEIGIN, Guy/YEACKER, Ben (SUU) 6-1
3. Richard Solberg/Charlie Croxford (UNLV) def. PALACIO, Sergio/ALBA, Micah (SUU) 6-1
Southern Utah 4-14
UNLV 12-7Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (4,3,1,5,6,2)